Schenectady DWI Defense Attorney
When someone thinks of “DWI penalties,” the first thing that comes to mind may be questions about the cost of fines, the amount of jail time or prison time.
In fact, however, the true scope of DWI penalties encompasses several areas of a person’s life, including the following:
- Your driver’s license could be suspended or revoked.
- You could be required to pay large fines.
- You could be put on probation, requiring you to check in periodically with a probation officer over a year’s time or longer.
- You might go to jail or prison.
- You might be required to install an ignition interlock device.
- You could be subjected to the following specific DWI penalties:
- For driving while impaired by alcohol (DWAI) with a blood alcohol level of .05-.07, you might be assessed $300-$1500, spend up to 15 days through up to 180 days in jail, and have your driver’s license suspended for 6 months to 1 year, or until age 21 if you are a minor.
- For driving while intoxicated (DWI) with a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher, you might be assessed $500-$10,000, spend up to a year through up to 7 years in prison, and have your driver’s license suspended for 6 months to 1 year, or until age 21 if you are a minor.
- For aggravated driving while intoxicated (DWI), you might be assessed $1000-$10,000, spend a year to 7 years in prison, and have your driver’s license suspended for a year to 18 months.
Drunk Driving Defense · Law Offices in Albany, Schenectady & NYC
You owe it to yourself and your future to mount the most vigorous defense that you can, to do all that you can to avoid severe penalties after a drunk driving arrest. For experienced counsel and representation in New York after a DWI or DWAI arrest, contact a knowledgeable drunk driving defense lawyer. We assist clients in Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga, the Capital Region and throughout New York State.
Contact a Schenectady NY DWI Defense Lawyer
If you have been charged with DWI or a traffic violation and need to speak with a DWI defense lawyer, schedule a consultation at our Albany, Schenectady or New York City offices. Call us at any time at 866-642-3807 or email him directly.